Baby it's warm outside!
What a hot summer it is!!! During these dog days, even mountain brides, who tend to enjoy a more temperate climate, want to offer refreshing cooling cocktails to their guests.
For brides and grooms looking to serve mojitos at their wedding, there are two main problems:
- The time it takes to muddle the mint and prepare each drink
- The potential for mint to come up through the straw and stick to or in between one's teeth. When photographers are constantly telling a bride, groom, and guests to smile for the camera, the last thing someone wants is a piece of green mint taking center stage.
DonQ Mojito takes care of these problems in the bottle. You've heard of all-inclusive wedding packages, well, think of this as your all inclusive drink package. This rum is transparent and infused with fresh mint to keep the taste without the hassle of fooling around with muddling mint. Yet, the aroma of muddled mint and lime is still there, and has a lingering minty finish that will keep cocktail hour clean and fresh. Mintless Mojitos are refreshing, super easy to make, and are easy to modify into a variety of signature cocktails. Any drink made with this rum will go great with light appetizers during the cocktail hour.
Don Q Lazy Mojito
- 3oz DonQ rum
- 2 oz club soda
Build directly over ice in a tall glass. Garnish with a lime wheel and a mint sprig
Don Q Mo-Tea-To
- 2oz DonQ rum
- 3 oz unsweetened iced tea
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
Build directly over ice in a tall glass. Garnish with a mint sprig and a lemon wedge
"Refreshing" was definitely the word of the day when the Hindsight Groom, a friend, and I took the DonQ Mojito Rum for a test drive. (another was "mmmmm tasty;" OK that may be two words…)
I got to tell you, this was a bit of a shock to me. The thought of mint flavored rum seemed a bit odd. When I opened the full bottle I was sent as a sample, it smelled strongly of peppermint schnapps. But we all remained open minded and committed to our duties as "reporters" ;-)
I carefully mixed each drink (the DonQ Lazy Mojito and the DonQ Mo-Tea-To) according to the recipe sent with the bottle. And you know what, each one was delicious. I kept thinking that each would be perfect for a hot summer wedding in the South. The mintless mojito would be great anywhere.
- I found the mojito recipe to be a bit on the sweet side. Try doubling the club soda for a lighter more refreshing drink
- Make your own tea. (full stop)
- I found the lemon to be overwhelming with my tea. Try scaling back to the juice of a quarter lemon. Squeeze the lemon wedge into the drink then plop it in for a garnish.
- Signature drinks should be fun and help tell your story. Rename them something that's reflective of you as a couple, like Blue Ridge Spiked Tea or Camp 4 Mojito
- Find more recipes at http://donq.com/recipes