Today’s sweet, rustic fall wedding combines the preppy colors Navy and Yellow and gives them a new spin with rustic, handmade details. Jennifer shows that you don;t have to spend a ton of money to have a beautiful, meaningful wedding. Jennifer tackled numerous DIY projects with friends and family and had a great time bonding over wedding projects. Scroll down for a full list of Jennifer’s handmade projects…
Jenny + Derek
November 17, 2012
Blue Diamond, Nevada
What was the inspiration behind the day?
I absolutely love the outdoors and nature and I’ve always wanted to have an outdoor wedding. Fall is my favorite time of year but we don’t really experience much of a fall season in Las Vegas so finding a place with beautiful fall leaves, rather than just palm trees, was a bit challenging. And we also wanted to get away from the glitz and glam often associated with Vegas, so we searched and searched and finally came across Spring Mountain Ranch, which looks nothing like a typical Las Vegas scene, so it was perfect!
What were some special touches that made your wedding day extra lovely.
The yellow trees were perfect for our fall wedding and they matched our color theme! The day before the wedding we drove up to Spring Mountain Ranch to do our rehearsal and we hadn’t been to the site since around August. So as we were approaching we saw how pretty everything was and I was so excited! Also, the mountains were such a beautiful backdrop. And about halfway through the reception it started to drizzle for just about a minute, and we hear that rain on your wedding is good luck so it was the perfect amount of rain just to give us some luck but not ruin the outdoor reception ? There was also a gorgeous sunset at the end of the day, which was a perfect end to our perfect day.
Where did you find some of your lovely details?
My family and my bridesmaids are all so crafty so we got some great ideas from all of their creativity. We had a lot of fun looking at Pinterest and then putting our own spin on the things we saw there.
Why’d you chose Navy for the bridesmaids dresses.
Navy blue is my favorite color and we thought it went really well with warm fall colors.
Any DIY or handmade Projects?
Pretty much everything was DIY.
- The first project was the Save the Dates and the invites which we started in April and since then it was nonstop crafting! We saw a sale on wooden birdhouses at Michaels and decided to snatch up 75 of them and then painted our hearts out almost all summer!
- We also made the table runners; we cut the fabric, fringed it on the sides, and painted a stencil on it;
- We also made all of the bouquets and boutonnieres with fake flowers (ideal for a bride on a budget); they turned out beautiful and my bridesmaids and I had so much fun making them!
- We also made all of the wooden signs;
- We spray painted a little animal puzzle yellow so guests could sign it for the guestbook;
- We got the birdcage from Ross and cutout the letters CARDS and strung it across the birdcage;
- We made all the tissue balls and the yellow fabric balls (which were the hardest and most tedious out of everything we made!);
- And we made the white string balls by wrapping string around a balloon with glue.
- We also painted the insides of mason jars navy blue for center pieces, we put scrapbooking paper around tin cans for centerpieces, and burlap around smaller mason jars.
- We also made all of the photo booth props which was a ton of fun!
Blue Diamond Wedding Vendors
- Photographer: Gaby J Photography
- Event Planner:Erin Gilday
- Dress Store: Free People
- Cake Designer: Nothing Bundt Cakes
- Shoes: Old Gringo Boots