There are two things I'm totally obsessed with lately: soft peachy color palettes and hot spicy foods. I love how peach transitions perfectly into summer from spring and I've gotten more than one sidelong glance from hubs as I douse my steamed veggies with Tapatio sauce, LOL. So for May's siggy of the month I thought I'd bring you something that will fit perfectly into your peachy color palette. But I also love the surprising kick this thing has for something so dainty looking. Are you thinking what I'm thinking? Yeah, perfect for a mountain bride :-)
Simple Syrup with Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (or more if you’re adventurous – I did a heaping 1/2 tsp because I’m spice obsessed)
- 4 oz grapefruit juice (fresh squeezed if you can – takes about 2 grapefruits)
- 2 oz tequila
- 1 oz cayenne simple syrup
- lime wedge
salt or spice rub – any kind of premixed spicy powder normally used on meat – yep (if that weirds you out, make your own using salt mixed with a little bit of cayenne, but I do prefer the spice rub).
- Make the simple syrup. Bring sugar, water and cayenne bring to a simmer in a small saucepan. Heat until the sugar is disolved and the cayenne is blended. Let it cool to room temperature then store in the fridge until ready to use.
- Make those margaritas. Make these like you would any margarita.
- Run the lime wedge around the rim of the glass until it's coated with the sticky juice.
- Turn the glass over and dip it in the salt or spice rub.
- Combine ice, tequila, simple syrup, and grapefruit juice in a shaker and shake vigorously. Like you really mean it :-)
- Serve, and enjoy the kick in the pants.
Recipe adapted from The Life Styled