And by Fresh I Mean Real Strawberries!
Um, hello! How freaking smart and cool is this wedding cake made out of fresh strawberries? When I first saw this cake, I thought what a perfect alternative for a vegan wedding! Or, hey, not everyone likes cake (or desserts for that matter.) This is a great, fresh, healthy alternative. Need a bit more desserty goodness? Put chocolate fondue on each guests table. Tara Wilson, the owner of Tara Wilson Events teamed up with Driscoll’s Berries to create this stunning strawberry tablescape. For directions on how to do it yourself, read on!
This Driscoll’s Strawberry Tablescape and "Wedding" Cake, adds color, height, vibrancy and a bit of sophisticated whimsy to wedding decor. The fragrant, sweet berries with their deep red hue are memorable, fresh and vibrant. They are also perfect for guests to enjoy!
(6) round Styrofoam wreaths in (3) graduated sizes (12”, 8”, 4”)
(1) bag of floral pins or cleats
(2) bolt of red ribbon
(3) flats of Driscoll’s strawberries
(1) cake stand
- Wrap each of the wreaths with the red ribbon, making certain that none of the Styrofoam is visible. NOTE: if the ribbon is too thick it will be challenging to push the pins through. Selecting a ribbon that is not tightly woven will make this process easier.
- Attach the (2) largest wreaths together using the floral cleats to form the base of the cake.
- Remove the stems of each Driscoll’s strawberry, making sure to create a clean even cut. Then cut the each berry in half length wise.
- Begin to cover the outer edges of the (2) largest wreaths with berries in a circular pattern until outer ring is covered.
- Attach the (2) medium sized wreaths together using the floral cleats to form the second layer of the cake.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4.
- Attach the (2) smallest wreaths together using the floral cleats. This will form the top layer of the cake.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4.
Event Designer and Entertaining Expert, Tara Wilson, tied a small red ribbon around the center of the strawberry cake to complete the look. The Driscoll’s Strawberry cake served as the centerpiece for this spring wedding tablescape. Baskets of strawberries served as the creative holder for each placecard.
About the Expert: Tara Wilson is the owner of Tara Wilson Events, a full-service event company committed to providing creative, well-executed and memorable events for individual and corporate clients.