Inspired by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, this sweet Hickory Nut Forest wedding is the perfect picture of Boho chic, environmentally conscious values, and locovore flare. By sourcing everything from flowers to food to photography from the Asheville area, Amber and Stacey offered their guests an authentic western North Carolina experience.
Amber + Stacey
Laughing Waters Retreat Center, NC
Sept 9, 2013
Why did you choose the Mountains for your wedding?
The mountains are where we feel most at home. Actually we are thruhikingn the Appalchian Trail right now! We both love the outdoors and never thought twice about tying the knot anywhere else.
Wedding Day Weather
Number of guests that attended
What was your theme for your wedding?
I guess if I had to put our wedding in a theme category it would be “casual outdoor bohemian” … We really just wanted everyone to feel at home and have fun.
Where did you find your inspiration?
The whole vibe was actually inspired by an Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros music video. The whole weekend was full of love, creativity and happiness. We also have amazing talents friends and family who played a big part in our special day. They baked, sang, built, crafted, coordinated and entertained to help our vision come to life.
How did you choose to personalize your wedding?
We loved thinking outside the box to make our day special and personal. Everything had a meaning, such as:
- My headband was made from my mothers wedding dress (sewn by my aunt);
- We wrote our whole ceremony, including our vows;
- Our bridal party sang and played songs as they walked down the “aisle” and as we entered the reception
- Our desert pies were baked by friends and family. Our wedding cake was baked by a close friend.
- We chose to “tie the knot” with all our guests by connecting pieces of material with each of their signature on them to make one big circle of love!
What was your favorite part of the reception?
My dad's heartfelt speach. Watch it here!- http://youtu.be/rqmRKhLOkP4
What are three things you're super glad you did?
- Made a weekend of it! Our bridal party spent the whole weekend with us preparing. We also had wedding Olympics after the rehearsal dinner!
- Personal touches- every element was totally us. We even chose to use plates made from fallen leaves to reflect our love for the environment.
- Partied under the stars and amongst the trees. Everything felt right with hammocks and tents spread out everywhere and a good fire going.
What was the biggest challenge in planning your mountain wedding and how did you overcome it?
Haha- I kept coming up with ideas! Thankfully, I was always reminded to remember what the day was about. Be grateful for your support team!
How did you find and choose your vendors?
Research. Google was my best friend. I was also limited by location since we where out in the Forest so that helped a little.
What is your best piece of advice to other mountain brides who are planning their weddings?
Make the day your own; write your own vows; and live in the moment.
Hickory Nut Forest Wedding Vendors
Photographer: Jen Yuson Photography | Venue: Laughing Waters Retreat ; Gerton, North Carolina | Videographer: Caravan Cinema Co | Caterer: Low Down Food Truck | Rentals: Classic Event Rental | Flowers: Lady Luck Flower Farm | Cake: Sanja Martinovic (friend) | Dress: Free People