Something magical happens when friends and family gather from around the world to design, create and celebrate a wedding. Mikaela and Junior met in Spain and chose to have a bilingual wedding ceremony to honor both cultures. This beautiful outdoor fete in the mountains of Arizona features gorgeous and heartfelt DIY details, including that stunning bouquet with romantic pops of red and lots of unstructured greenery. The entire day was expertly captured by Savannah Lauren Photography.
Mikaela + Junior
Oct 4 2015
Wedding day weather: Everything! Rain & sun
Number of guests: 80
Your budget: $8,000 – $9,000
Biggest splurge: The venue- Kohls ranch
Why did you choose the Mountains for your wedding?
Because it's the town I was born in, my family all currently lives in & it's absolutely gorgeous.
Wedding day theme:
Rustic-elegant- and a touch of nostalgia:)
Where did you find your inspiration?
Mainly through the venue, time of year & outdoor mountain setting. Also the color palette we chose helped us make decisions. My groom also has great taste & had great ideas for our look. Also because I planned the wedding from abroad it had to be fairly simple & luckily I love simple.
How did you choose to personalize your wedding?
Our ceremony- we both love Spain and our shared language is Spanish so we had a bilingual ceremony & chose to say our vows in Spanish.
What was your favorite part of the reception?
When my dad (former guitarist from the Alice Cooper Group) surprised me with a song he wrote for me when I was 8 and had not heard since then! He went over to the bands' keyboard and began playing the song, it could not have been more perfect to hear that song again.
What are three things you're super glad you did?
- Stuck to my guns about decisions and didn't let anyone talk me out of things that were very important to me.
- SMALL bridal party- it was little hassle with less people & more intimate for the 4 of us girls.
- Doing my own makeup- I felt natural & myself and guapa!
- Live band! It's the same or less Than a dj and SO much for fun- it created an amazing atmosphere !
What was the biggest challenge in planning your mountain wedding and how did you overcome it?
Being in Spain & planning 2 weddings at once! After the AZ wedding we had another wedding with Spanish family & friends in Segovia Spain. I overcame by Gods grace & some amazing friends & family who took control over things I realistically could not do from Spain.
How did you find and choose your vendors?
- Venue: There are only 2 real options in Payson and thankfully Kohls ranch had a great reputation and it really for my husband and I as far as what we wanted for our wedding.
- The other vendors were recommended by friends – and some are friends. I didn't have time to search to much.
What is your best piece of advice to other mountain brides who are planning their weddings?
Be prepared for any weather…have a for sure backup plan & lots of umbrellas. And don't worry if it's just a little rain – your friends & family will sit in rain for you in your big day!
Payson, AZ Wedding Vendors